Reminder: Hot Temps & Playground Safety
We are so excited about the tremendous use the new playgrounds and splashpad at our Richland Park are receiving! We want to take this time to remind everyone that during the heat of summer, however, it is very important to pay attention to the temperatures of the play surfaces while supervising your children.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the materials used in modern playgrounds, often plastics and rubber, can get very hot in the summer sun and are capable of burning a child’s skin (although they are better than the metal play structures of the Old Days)!
The agency offers parents this advice:
- A child can get a thermal burn even in mild weather.
- Watch for uncoated metal equipment, dark-colored plastics, asphalt and concrete surfaces.
- Check the temperature of the playground equipment OFTEN during playtime.
- Dress your child in appropriate clothing to AVOID DIRECT SKIN CONTACT with surfaces.
- Always WATCH CHILDREN when they are at the playground.
Have a safe and happy summer!