Trash and Recycling FAQs
Contact Vogel Disposal at 724-625-1511 or VogelDisposal.com for more details about your trash and recycling service.
What is the holiday schedule for trash & recycling pickup?
Vogel Disposal will be closed for Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. Per Vogel, that means:
If your scheduled collection day falls ON or AFTER a weekday holiday, your collection will be 1 DAY LATER that week.
If your scheduled collection day falls BEFORE a weekday holiday, there will be NO CHANGE in your collection day.
When is the last leaf collection day for 2019?
For customers with pickup days of Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, the last leaf collection day will be Wednesday, December 4.
For customers with pickup days on Thursday and Friday, the last leaf collection day will be Friday, December 6.
What are the dates for HHW & E-Waste pickup for 2020?
Please note: you must CONTACT Vogel customer service AT LEAST 10 DAYS PRIOR TO THE SCHEDULED COLLECTION DATES in order to participate.
March 9 (register by Feb. 26)
June 8 (register by May 27)
August 31 (register by Aug. 19)
December 7 (register by Nov. 24)
Will Vogel pick up my Christmas Tree?
Vogel will be picking up Christmas trees through December and January at no extra cost. All decorations must be removed, and must be under 6′ tall, or cut into smaller pieces. Please do not place trees in plastic bags.
When is the spring leaf collection day in 2020?
Vogel will be picking up leaves in the spring ONE day only on Wednesday, April 8, 2020. All the details about this leaf pickup, and where to discard your leaves in the meantime can be found here.
Richland Township Code for Recycling
Listed below are the Waste Reduction and Recycling Program Regulations, as stated in Chapter 20, Part 3 of the Township Code:
- Residence Recycling Program
- Multi-Family/Rental Houses/Condominiums Recycling Program
- Commercial/Municipal/Institutional Recycling Program
Explanation of Recycling Collection changes throughout Western PA
When going out to bid, Richland Township learned that the future of recycling is changing. The main factors leading to these changes include:
1) Lack of market for many previously recycled materials,
2) High cost of sorting the excessive non-recyclable materials being improperly disposed of, and
3) Contamination resulting from single stream recycling. Many recyclable end-buyers will not accept product unless it is 99.5% pure – which is almost unattainable. The result of these changes has led to the fact that the solid-waste management companies are now needing to pay for the disposal of many of the items that they used to be able to sell.
Richland Township discovered that current market conditions would force all of the waste companies bidding on the contract to increase their fees for collecting recyclable materials from Township residents. In order to reduce costs, some items have been eliminated from recycling, and the collection of recyclables has changed from every week to every other week. The discontinuation of recycling glass as part of the bids was similar with all of the providers. The new contract does allow for changes in acceptable items should the markets improve.
See the following informative articles/videos that further highlight current struggles of the recycling industry:
- Market forces put U.S. recycling industry in the dumps (Associated Press, 10/10/18)
- The Future of Glass Recycling (PEL America)
- Why Plastic Bags Shouldn’t Be Recycled at Home (PBS News Hour 9/28/18)
Vogel Disposal Services, Inc.
Vogel Disposal serves Richland Township.
- 121 Brickyard Road Mars, PA 16046 (General Correspondence)
- Phone: 724-625-1511
- Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00AM – 5:00PM; Saturday 8:00AM – 12:00PM
Vogel Disposal Service, Inc. P.O. Box 857 Mars, PA 16046
Vogel Disposal Service, Inc. P.O. Box 847 Mars, PA 16046
Seneca Landfill, Inc. offers an option to drop-off trash items (fee) and recycling items (no fee).
- 421 Hartmann Road, Evans City, PA 16033
- Phone: 724-625-9000
- Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00AM – 3:00PM; Saturday 8:00 – 11:00AM
Richland Township Yard Box
Located at the Richland Township Public Works building, a yard waste dumpster is available for residents’ disposal of vegetative debris such as bagged leaves or garden residue (must be in the brown paper recycling bags), and tied/bound branches no larger than 3 inches in diameter and do not exceed 48 inches in length. Large items such as stumps, logs, or full bushes are not accepted. Drop off during daylight hours.
E-Waste (electronic) and Household Hazardous Waste
First, Vogel Disposal collects E-Waste and Hazardous Household Waste for no extra cost 4 dates each year for Richland Township. Contact Vogel Disposal at 724-625-1511 or VogelDisposal.com for more information on how to participate.
The following local businesses also offer services for the disposal of hard-to-recycle items (TVs, electronics, household chemicals, bulbs, batteries, etc):
ECS&R (Environmental Coordination Services & Recycling, Inc.)
- located in Evans City, PA
- 724-432-3278 or 866-815-0016
PRC (Pennsylvania Resources Council)
- located in Export, PA