Trash & Recycling
Contact Vogel Disposal at 724-625-1511 or visit the Vogel Disposal website for more details about your trash and recycling service.
Vogel's 2023 Richland Township Guidelines (PDF) answer a number of common questions.
- Printable 2023 Waste Collection Calendar (PDF)
- E-Waste and HHW Guidelines (PDF)
- Printable Recycling Guidelines (PDF)
Richland Township Code for Recycling
Listed in the following are the Waste Reduction and Recycling Program Regulations, as stated in Chapter 20, Part 3 of the Township Code:
- Residence Recycling Program (PDF)
- Multi-Family/Rental Houses/Condominiums Recycling Program (PDF)
- Commercial/Municipal/Institutional Recycling Program (PDF)
Allegheny County Recycling Resource Directory
To assist you in the recycling effort, Allegheny County has developed this directory of locations in the County which accept various materials for recycling -- from glass containers to polystyrene loose fill. We hope that you are able to find a location close to you to take the items you wish to recycle. This directory is divided into three sections:
→ List of recyclers by material type (such as glass, newsprint, etc.) and location in the County (North, South, East, West, or Pittsburgh)
→ List of recyclers in alphabetical order (listing address, phone number, hours of business and materials accepted)
→ List of commercial, large volume recyclers
Explanation of Recycling Collection Changes Throughout Western Pennsylvania
When going out to bid, Richland Township learned that the future of recycling is changing. The main factors leading to these changes include:
- Lack of market for many previously recycled materials,
- High cost of sorting the excessive non-recyclable materials being improperly disposed of, and
- Contamination resulting from single stream recycling. Many recyclable end-buyers will not accept product unless it is 99.5% pure - which is almost unattainable. The result of these changes has led to the fact that the solid-waste management companies are now needing to pay for the disposal of many of the items that they used to be able to sell.
Richland Township discovered that current market conditions would force all of the waste companies bidding on the contract to increase their fees for collecting recyclable materials from Township residents. In order to reduce costs, some items have been eliminated from recycling, and the collection of recyclables has changed from every week to every other week. The discontinuation of recycling glass as part of the bids was similar with all of the providers. The new contract does allow for changes in acceptable items should the markets improve.
See the following informative articles/videos that further highlight current struggles of the recycling industry:
- Market forces put U.S. recycling industry in the dumps (Associated Press, October 10, 2018)
- "Repurposing" Use for Glass (Vogel Disposal, December 2019)
- Why Plastic Bags Shouldn't Be Recycled at Home (PBS News Hour September 28, 2018)
Seneca Landfill, Inc. offers an option to drop-off trash items (fee) and recycling items (no fee).
Richland Township Yard Box
Located at the Richland Township Public Works building, a yard waste dumpster is available for residents' disposal of vegetative debris such as bagged leaves or garden residue (must be in the brown paper recycling bags), and tied/bound branches no larger than 3 inches in diameter and do not exceed 48 inches in length. Large items such as stumps, logs, or full bushes are not accepted. Drop off during daylight hours.
E-Waste (Electronic) & Household Hazardous Waste
First, Vogel Disposal collects E-Waste and Hazardous Household Waste for no extra cost 4 dates each year for Richland Township. Contact Vogel Disposal at 724-625-1511 or visit the Vogel Disposal website for more information on how to participate.
The following local businesses also offer services for the disposal of hard-to-recycle items (TVs, electronics, household chemicals, bulbs, batteries, etc):
ECS&R (Environmental Coordination Services and Recycling, Inc.)
- Located in Evans City, PA
- Phone: 724-432-3278 or 866-815-0016
- ECS&R Recycling and Waste Management Website
Pennsylvania Resources Council (PRC)
- Phone: 412-488-7452
- Pennsylvania Resources Council (PRC) Website
- Located in Export, PA
- Phone: 724-519-7646
- E-Loop Website